Wednesday, May 16, 2007

CROSSED THE BLUE MOUNTAINS

Hello everyone,

I chose to start my ride in Astoria, Oregon, as this is where Lewis and Clark ended their exploration. On the route, the Pacific West Corridor, which is from the Cascades to the Ocean, is where I experienced the rain, sleet, and snow. Last week, the weather has been sunny, and I must admit, I am glad to be out of the rain. Temperatures have been in the low 40's and high 70's.

I made it through the Blue Mountains and over the three passes of Dixie, Tipton, and Sumpter. I was glad to get that behind me. I went through Baker City, which is a cool little town in the High Mountain Plateau. I stopped at a National Park Exhibit that was interpretive of the Oregon Trail. In the mid-1800's, tens of thousands of American settlers closed their businesses, sold their farms, and packed up their families for a 2000 mile journey across the Oregon Trail and the mountains to get to the West Coast. The park exhibit was up on a ridge with scenic views of the Blue Mountains where visitors can learn about the environment and what the pioneers experienced along the trail. I can only imagine the challenges that they faced. The exhibit explained that the settlers knew if they made it through the Blue Mountains then they still had to cross the Cascades. Many people died and only one-third of the people made it through the mountains. It has been interesting to observe all of the history.

The last couple of days I have been in the Bitterroot Mountains, which have been mostly in Idaho. After today, I will be leaving the Bitterroot Mountains over Lolo Pass for a rest day in Missoula, Montana. The Bitterroot Mountains are beautiful with no services for over 70 miles. I had to carry extra water. Last night, I stayed at the Wilderness Inn, and believe me, it was in the middle of the wilderness. The towns are very small and very rustic (Lowell had a population of 23). I have been leaving at 6:00 a.m. and riding 6 to 8 hours. Very long days with two-thirds of my time on the bike climbing, and one-third of my time have been in the flats and downhill.

I got a glimpse of two bears along the Salmon River. In the Blue Mountains I saw big-horn sheep. In the Bitterroot Mountains I saw Elk. For the last 100 miles, I have been on the Lewis and Clark Trail. It was explained to me that Lewis and Clark were very disappointed that the Little Salmon, Salmon, Clearwater, and the Payette Rivers were too aggressive to navigate. They are major rivers that are three to four times larger than the James River. I met three guys that are expert rafters and they are taking the Clearwater River down to the Salmon River. From what I have seen from the road, these rivers look very dangerous. I wish them good luck.

Well, today I think the realization of my undertaking of this ride has set in. I am very tired. I have one more day to ride and then a rest day!

Thanks for every one's prayers, good wishes, and support.

Talk again in a week.

Larry

6 comments:

Riverbluff Dave said...

It's great to be able to travel along with you, Larry. You'll get over the hump and into the groove and maybe not be so tired (easy for me to say).
River Bluff is beautiful with all the Beardtongue in bloom and the rest of the flowers just about to bloom. The guys won't be mowing the fields in order for them to bloom and get better established.
I will take some pictures this spring so you can see how pretty the place is. Thistles are dyin. Saw 8 quail pairs on north unit.
God speed in good health.
Dave

Dee Sheridan said...

Reading your stories through teary eyes, Larry. What an amazing journey~congratulations on the fruition of a dream! Thanks for sharing your adventure, will be watching closely (& with a twinge of jealousy:) God Speed!
Dee

Tom P. said...

Keep up the strong work. In training with a 52 miler at the Red Ribbon Ride yesterday. See you June 3 in Frisco. Tom P.

ron k said...

You journey sounds breathtaking and one that provides the beauty of life.

What you are doing by living in the moment is helping to strengthen you while being a great inspiration to all cancer survivors.

An incredible feat by an incredible person!

wolfeee said...

jhg

wolfeee said...

Hi Larry
Dave just told us about your adventure, Wow!and I thought you were brave by coaching Dave and me on the Jr Irish. I read some of the other comments and I wish we could see you with a webcam. Susan said Hi and we will put you in are prayers. We will keep up on your blog and pass it on to are friends in Vegas. God Bless Rich and Suz